|Subject: 01 CHRISTIAN SCIENCE: WHAT IS IT?|
|CHRISTIAN SCIENCE: WHAT IS IT?|
In the year 1866, 1 discovered the Christ Science or divine laws of Life, Truth and Love, and named my discovery Christian Science. God had been graciously preparing me during many years for the reception of this final revelation of the absolute divine Principle of scientific mental healing. - S&H 107:l
The term CHRISTIAN SCIENCE was introduced by the author to designate the scientific system of divine healing. The revelation consists of two parts:
1. The discovery of this divine Science of Mind-healing, through a spiritual sense of the Scriptures and through the teachings of the Comforter, as promised by the Master.
2. The proof, by present demonstration, that the so-called miracles of Jesus did not specially belong to a dispensation now ended, but that they illustrated an ever-operative divine Principle. The operation of this Principle indicates the eternality of the scientific order and continuity of being. - S&H 123: l6-29
How would define Christian Science?
As the law of God, the law of good, interpreting and demonstrating the divine Principle and rule of universal harmony.- Rud 1: 1-4
What is the Principle of Christian Science?
It is God, the Supreme Being, infinite and immortal Mind, the Soul of man and the universe. It is our Father which is in heaven. It is substance, Spirit, Life, Truth, and Love,--these are the deific Principle. -Rud 1:5-9
This is the doctrine of Christian Science: that divine Love cannot be deprived of its manifestation, or object; that joy cannot be turned into sorrow, for sorrow is not the master of joy; that good can never produce evil; that matter can never produce mind nor life result in death.-S&.H 304.9-14
THE CENTRAL POINT
The superiority of spiritual power over sensuous is the central point of Christian Science.-S&H.454.29.-31
THE VITAL PART
The vital part, the heart and soul of Christian Science, is Love. Without this, the letter is but the dead body of Science,--pulseless, cold, inanimate. -S&H 113-.5
TWO ESENTIAL POINTS
Two essential points of Christian Science are, that neither Life nor man dies, and that God is not the author of sickness. -S&H 349- 10
TWO CARDINAL POINTS
The "man of sorrows" best understood the nothingness of material life and intelligence and the mighty actuality of all-inclusive God, good. These were the two cardinal points of mind-healing, or Christian Science, which armed him with Love. -S&H 52:19-23
FOUR FUNDAMENTALS OF DIVINE METAPHYSICS
The fundamental propositions of divine metaphysics are summarized in the four following, to me, self-evident
propositions. Even if reversed, these propositions will be found to agree in statement showing mathematically their
exact relation to Truth.
1. God is All-in-all.
2. God is good. Good is Mind.
3. God, Spirit, being all, nothing is matter.
4. Life, God, omnipotent good, deny death, evil, sin, disease. -S&H 113-.9-14- 16-20
To-day the healing power of Truth is widely demonstrated as an immanent, eternal Science, instead of a phenomenal exhibition. Its appearing is the coming anew of the gospel of "on earth peace, goodwill toward men." This coming, as was promised by the Master, is for its establishment as a permanent dispensation among men; but he mission of Christian Science now, as in the time of its earlier demonstration, is not primarily one of physical healing. Now, as then, signs and wonders are wrought in the metaphysical healing of physical disease; but these signs are only to demonstrate its divine origin,--to attest the reality of the higher mission of the Christ-power to take away the sins of the world.-S&H 150.4-17
This apodictical Principle points to Immanuel, "God with us,"-the sovereign ever-presence, delivering the children of men from every ill "that flesh is heir to." Marginal Heading: Mission of Christian Science-S&H 107: 7-10
THE TEXTBOOK-THE COMPLETE STATEMENT
"Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures” is the complete textbook of Christian Science; and its metaphysical method is as lucid in presentation as can be possible, under the necessity to express the metaphysical in physical terms. There is absolutely no additional secret outside of its teachings, or that gives one the power to heal; but it is essential that the student gain the spiritual understanding of the contents of this book, in order to heal.
The first edition of my most important work, Science and Health, containing the complete statement of Christian Science, --the term employed by me to express the divine, or spiritual, Science of Mind-healing, was published in 1875. -Ret 37: 0-5
THE IMPORTANT POINTS OR RELIGIOUS TENETS
The following is a brief exposition of the important points, or religious tenets of Christian Science: --
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His son, one Christ; the Holy
Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God's forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts
out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus' atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man's unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure. -S&.H 496.31-27
What are the demands of the Science of Soul?
The first demand of this Science is, “Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.” This me is Spirit. Therefore the command means this: Thou shalt have no intelligence, no life, no substance, no truth, no love, but that which is spiritual. The second is like unto it, “Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.” – S&H 467: 1-8
THE PLATFORM-32 points page 330 to 340
When the following platform is understood and the Letter and the spirit bear witness, the infallibility of divine
metaphysics will be demonstrated.